If you think brushing a dog’s teeth is for foo-foo dogs, think again! Vets now know that a dog’s oral health is linked to all sorts of internal body parts. Think of the reasons you brush your teeth twice a day -- to ward off plaque, tarter, tooth aches, unnecessary trips to the dentist and bad breath. Turns out your dog’s choppers need the same attention for the very same reasons. In light of Pet Dental Health Month, we remind you of five good reasons to start brushing and 5 ways to make it easier!
- Your dog can’t tell you when he’s in pain and gum disease, in particular, has been described as a “silent disease” because it’s hard to spot until it’s advanced. Sure, he may show symptoms of being uncomfortable, but what if he’s feeling gum sensitivity or a toothache, making eating painful? We all know how horrible a toothache is – we wouldn’t wish it on our pups.
- Periodontal disease starts when bacteria combine with food particles to form plaque. That plaque eventually turns into tartar and leads to gingivitis or inflammation of the gums This is a serious dental issue and can lead to tooth decay and tooth loss. It’s estimated that 85 percent of all pets have periodontal disease by the time they are 3 years of age. Be a part of the other 15 percent!
- Dental extractions aren’t fun for your dog and they can be very costly. Don’t forget that unlike us, a dog needs to be anesthetized for extractions and dental work.
- Periodontal disease is a disease of bacteria. The bacteria under the gumline can get into the bloodstream and cause damage to the kidney, liver, heart and other vital organs. Brushing his teeth can actually extend his lifespan!
- Bad breath. Enough said.
Here's the good news. Brushing and oral care isn't difficult, time consuming or costly. Here are five products we absolutely LOVE!
There’s no wonder it made the recent blog post where our groomers shared secret their weapons! No brushing required, simply add 2 drops to each side of his mouth daily and let the gel do the dirty work of breaking down tarter and plaque. It's powered by the natural benefits of Green Tea Leaf Extract, nature's best defense against bacteria and all of that bad stuff.
The perfect starter kit - a full size brush, a convenient finger brush and a tube of brushing gel. We recommend having both size brushes in your arsenal. The little ones are great for getting into those hard-to-reach spots where plaque hides and also give you more control if your pup is a little fidgety.
Just add one capful to your pup’s water dish each time you fill it, it's as easy as that! Powered with purified water, green tea leaf extract, chloride and other super ingredients to help keep those pearly whites looking their best!
Pups love the taste of this all natural paste. Tea tree oil is known for its antifungal and antiseptic properties, leaving your’s pup breath kissably fresh! As a gentle reminder, don’t ever use human toothpaste on your dogs, as it contains soap which can lead to an upset stomach.
We refer to these as “nature’s doggy toothrushes”. As your dog goes to work chewing the super tough antlers (which are naturally shed by elk), his teeth and gums will be reaping the rewards. Bonus that they last a long time and dogs LOVE the taste of them! One of our all-time favorite products and a winner among both dogs and their owners. Order these from our online boutique today!
Our awesome grooming team will be bringing you tips like these each month on the blog! Check out the recent post about Mud Baths and stay tuned for more expert tips for keep you dog healthy, happy and looking amazing!